Friday, August 20, 2010

Why BMW is BMW

It's time to shop for a new car. For the next few weeks I'm chronicling my search, reviewing the process, the products, the marketing, the sales experience and the transaction.

Day 10: Performance trumps image every time.

Back when I started this process I was on the fence about the BMW 3-series. The poser image, the uninspired, exterior styling, and the price all had me thinking it wasn't for me.

In the showroom nothing really happened to change my mind. No one approached me for 15 minutes even though only one other customer was on the floor and the $90,000 7-series only reinforced the perception I have of the unattainability due to the price.

Everything changed when I got behind the wheel of a 328i equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, X-drive, the Sport and Premium packages.

Yes, at $41,000 this car is expensive and stretches the upper limits of my budget. Yes, it's still the sweet 16 gift of choice to the spoiled daughters of Orange County Housewives.

All that baggage was swept away as I drove the car through the winding roads in the southern Wisconsin countryside. Every shift, every application of the throttle, every turn of the wheel, made it increasingly clear that this 3 honors the legacy of its predecessors the 2002 and 320i. The sound, the feel, the fit, the finish, they're all top notch. Nothing gets in the way of the driving experience. It's hard to find fault with this car.

Is it worth the $10,000 plus premium over the VW or other cars I've looked at? Maybe.

Am I glad I drove one? Absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. Plus you can get it in wagon form! The whole process is interesting - thanks for the postings.

    ReplyDelete