Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Art of Advertising

For all the machinations about marketing research, the pablum about process, the struggles with strategy, sometimes art conquers all in advertising.

Such is the case with this poster recently created by my friend and former colleague, Mike Bass.

Mike is a master of manipulating found images and typography to create stunning, collectible advertising art. Art that communicates. Advertising that enhances the environment in which it's placed.

Even without reading the poster, I know a lot about the new boutique Zip-Dang. I know it's not offering cookie cutter fashions and accessories like The Gap, Crate and Barrel or Target. I know I'll find something unusual, something hand-crafted, something artistic.

In our digital age where old media like posters and newspaper ads are looked down upon as anachronisms, I'm glad there are people like Mike who care enough about the craft to do work like this on a regular basis.

Thanks Mike for keeping the flame alive.

Props to Bryan Judkins, another former colleague, for the most excellent verbiage.

No comments:

Post a Comment