Monday, October 18, 2010

BK aims low

When I first saw this Burger King commercial, I thought it was was odd. But since I'm clearly not the target I didn't think much about it until last night.


I was out at a bar watching Sunday Night Football and one of the spots in this campaign came on. I was interested in the reaction of the other patrons since many were males under 30. Their response was unanimously negative. I heard words like "awful", "idiotic" and "dumb" describing the spot.

In spite of this, BK's breakfast sales appear to be on the rise according to this article from MarketWatch

When I was a kid they used to say, "Sex Sells." Apparently now, "Stupid" does as well.

Addendum: Clearly stupid does sell. Exhibit B: "Jackass 3D" did an estimated $50 million in box office over the past three days, the best opening weekend this year since "Inception."

1 comment:

  1. Fully agreed. But the thing that pisssed me off the most about this spot is that Hillshire Farms' "Go Meat" spots, although playing on the same faux-military marching platform, were so much catchier. BK's copywriters need a LOT of help; their "lyrics" are limp and lame and not at all interesting, unlike the 'Go Meat" campaign.

    ReplyDelete