Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Is big bad?

Over the past year, I've written a few posts railing against the stupidity of big companies like Miller/Coors, Walmart, General Motors, Kraft, Apple and Toyota (some of which I've done work for). So you might think I have a thing against big companies. Actually I don't. I have a thing against bad companies, or at least poorly run ones.

I have a thing against companies that don't have a purpose other than to make money.

I have a thing against companies that don't care about the communities that support them.

I have a thing against companies that treat their machines better than their people.

I have a thing against companies that think innovation is adding a new flavor or widget to their line.

I have a thing against companies whose leaders spend more time with bankers than customers.

I have a thing against companies that cover up and blame rather than apologize and fix.

I have a thing against companies that think better advertising will fix everything and you can only get that by changing agencies.

I have a thing against companies that think they can always get it cheaper someplace else.

I have a thing against companies that act like bullies.

It's hard for a company to have these traits when it's smaller and there are few layers separating its leaders from customers, channel partners and suppliers. If small companies act like this, they won't be around very long.

It's only when companies get big do they feel entitled and entitlement leads to arrogance, which in the long run is a lousy business strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment