Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Does mean sell?

This commercial has been running a lot lately and I wish it would stop.



I know humor is subjective, but who finds this funny? These two people so completely unlikeable, their relationship so completely dysfunctional, that this spot is hard to watch. And it's not the only one. There are a number of spots on the air now using protagonists who are just flat out mean and ugly individuals. 

The last time I checked, the idea was to have people like your brand. Someone please explain to me how this trend of commercials featuring bitches and jerks helps make that happen?

I know this is intended to be a parody, but whoever at the agency wrote and approved this should leave comedy to the professionals because it's just not funny.

And if it's not funny, it's not going to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment