Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It isn't the real thing

If you're counting on online buzz to drive sales, you might as well bet on the Cubs to win the World Series this year.

Yesterday at an Advertising Research Federation conference in New York, Coca Cola – a company that measures just about everything it does – had this to say about the connection between online "buzz" and business results...
We didn't see any significant relationship between our buzz and our short-term sales.
Count me as one of the least surprised people in the world.

Coca Cola has 99.9999999% awareness. I know where to find it. I know how much it costs. I know how refreshing it is. But somehow the expectation by the advocates of buzz is that I might see a post about Coke on a friend's Facebook page and Twitter feed and suddenly decide to go buy one?

I think not.

After this news and yesterday's post, I hope this signals a return to sanity in marketing where we'll focus more on using the tools for selling rather than just making noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment