Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pure Advertising

I know this isn't a new campaign, but when this spot came on TV last night everyone in the room remarked how good it was and that got me thinking.

The Pure Michigan effort doesn't do anything differently than any other tourism campaign. In fact, it's pretty formulaic.

It uses idyllic images of iconic landmarks of the state, appropriate music to set the mood, a famous resident reading flowery copy that glorifies the experience.



I've seen this creative strategy executed by virtually every state in the country, yet none of them have had the effect on me that the Pure Michigan spots have. Maybe that's because I grew up in Michigan and have a predisposition to like the message. Or maybe it's because this campaign is just better.

I guess what this spot really proves is that you don't always have to break the rules to break through.

Sometimes you can just be perfect.

2 comments:

  1. The images might be just a touch more beautiful...but it's Tim Allen's killer interpretation that has made this campaign one of the best ever created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Allen's VO adds a lot here. But it's just one of many little things they did right. I think the copy is romantic without being smarmy. The images are gorgeous without being unrealistic. All in all, it's one of those campaigns that you look at and say, "Damn, I wish I'd done that."

    ReplyDelete