Monday, August 16, 2010

It's test drive week

It's time to shop for a new car. For the next few weeks I'm chronicling my search, reviewing the process, the products, the marketing, the sales experience and the transaction.

Day 6: Test drives begin this evening with GM Brands

Today, I will test drive four cars. After a weekend of reflection,  a few emails from interested parties, and realizing that my multi-brand GM dealership makes test driving several cars easier, I've decided to see if my earlier criticism of Buick was warranted.

In addition to the Chevy Malibu and Cadillac CTS, I'll also drive a Buick Regal and Lacrosse.

I've created a 10-mile test loop that includes some pretty rough pavement, a few miles of freeway, a couple of decreasing radius 270 degree cloverleaves and a short stretch of county highway with a sweeping high speed right hander and a steep uphill grade. It's not Road America, but this route should provide enough variety to get a sense of each car's capabilities.

After a week of an academic exercise, I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment