Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Now that's more like it

It's time to shop for a new car. For the next few weeks I'm chronicling my search, reviewing the process, the products, the marketing, the sales experience and the transaction.

Day 8: Volkswagen and Nissan

Ever since I drove the Volvo Boss Wagon from Connecticut to California when I was working for Car and Driver Magazine in the late '70s, I've been in love with sports wagons. Having grown up in a household with Vista Cruisers and other leviathan vehicles, driving a wagon that handled like a sports car was a revelation to me. It seemed to be the perfect car.

All those feelings came rushing back when I slipped behind the wheel of the Volkwagen Jetta TDI SportWagen. There's something about this tidy package that really appeals to me.

It's small and efficient, quick and fun, refined and sophisticated. The exterior styling is Volkswagen at it's best, restrained and purposeful. The 18 inch wheels, the slightly flared fenders and the spoilers all did a good job of cuing the performance that lay ahead.

I was instantly comfortable behind the wheel and when I fired up the 4-cylinder, turbocharged clean diesel, was surprised how little clatter there was. I'd heard good things about this engine and it didn't disappoint. The six-speed manual transmission made it easy to keep the revs in the powerband for hard driving and while not a rocket ship, it was plenty quick on the freeway entrance ramp. At a 70 mile per hour cruise in top gear the motor turned at a very comfortable and relaxed 2,000 rpms. Even with the taut sport suspension, the road noise was minimal. All this and mileage that rivals the Toyota Prius.

The one drawback is the rear seat legroom. To create enough room for a six-foot passenger I had to pull the driver's seat half-way forward creating a very uncomfortable driving position for my six-foot three-inch frame. It would have made the five-hour drive to Michigan I did last weekend miserable. So the question is, do I care enough about anyone who will be riding in the rear seat to sacrifice my driving pleasure for their comfort. We'll see.

Bottom Line: I could see myself owning this car.

I went to the Nissan dealership wanting to drive an Altima and ended up behind the wheel of the Maxima thanks to a salesman who just didn't listen. This guy was everything I hate in a car salesman. He talked too fast, leapt to conclusions, and wouldn't shut up while on the test drive. That having been said, I liked the Maxima, a lot.

It's fast. It's tight. It's roomy. It looks muscular. It has every feature you could ever want (but that's not really a differentiating factor anymore). This car compares very favorably to the CTS. The Maxima feels lighter, quicker and a less pretentious than the Cadillac.

On the drive the steering was direct and confident. The suspension was sporty without being jarring and on the highway gave enough insulation from road noise and bumps to provide a very comfortable ride. In the corners there was very little body roll and suspension float. This car was set up just the way I like it.

This is the first car I've ever driven with a CVT transmission and it was a little weird at first waiting for shift points that never came. But mated with the 290 horse V-6 it delivered when it mattered. And in manual mode shifts were quick and positive providing excellent control.

Even though it wasn't my intent to drive the Maxima, I'm glad I did. Now I just have to go back there when Chatty Charley (the names have been changed to protect the guilty) isn't around and drive an Altima as well.

Bottom Line: Aggressive styling. Performance to match. I wish the Buick had been this good.

1 comment:

  1. This is our driveway... We have a 1994 Maxima which we kept for the boys- and since it is going up to college this year, we bought a 2010 Jetta sedan for our younger son. Both cars are great, but both boys still love the Maxima.

    ReplyDelete