Monday, November 8, 2010

Great advertising does not insult the target.

Toyota is well on its way to becoming the new Chrysler. These guys can't seem to do anything right. The latest example? Their new campaign for Highlander.

Here's a great strategy: insult the very people you're trying to sell your product to by having the cool kids taunt them. Nice.


In a press release announcing the campaign, Toyota says Highlander is a "...vehicle that resonates with parents while still earning the stamp of approval from kids."

Do I need the approval of an eight year old for the car I drive? Was I a bad dad for making my kids ride in the back of that Tahoe during their formative years? Have I scarred them for life? I doubt it.

Peer pressure is real. Kids get ridiculed all the time by their schoolmates for being different. Something feels terribly wrong about building an advertising campaign around this insight.

It's not the work of a brand that respects its customers. And it's not going to help reverse Toyota's sales slide.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I remember mom and dad having that station wagon. I it was a good car. Probably kept me out of trouble since it was the only vehicle I could take woodwarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that kid is so annoying, i can't even tell you. judgmental little creep...!

    ReplyDelete