Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thanks, but no thanks

Just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's interesting. I know. My wife and I are curating a photo blog that chronicles the daily changes on the Lake Michigan shoreline near our house.

I think about six people find this as fascinating as we do.

But because of that blog, I just received an email from the CityMedia Foundation asking me if I'd like to join other bloggers around the world and become the administrator of a local video site for my hometown. Part of the email reads...

"We created the [City].vi network, making videos of world cities instinctively accessible with this address model: "city name" followed by ".vi" for example: paris.vi, madrid.vi, chicago.vi, losangeles.vi, etc."

And of course the promise to me is that as the local site's administrator, I'd earn all of the revenue from advertising, sponsorships, links, etc. 
There's just one problem.

While I'm sure people all over the world will be surfing by to see video of Paris, Madrid,  Chicago and Los Angeles as well as other famous cities, who wants to see videos of Sheboygan?

As spectaculars as Brat Days are and as beautiful as the Harbor Center is becoming, it's not the tableau for fascinating viewing. And if nobody's watching, there won't be any advertisers. And without them, no revenue for me.

So thanks to the accident of geography, I'll pass. But if I ever move someplace interesting, I'll contact you.

No comments:

Post a Comment